Sleep Center at Mount Washington
Patients who have a scheduled sleep study must call to confirm or cancel 7 days prior to the study at 443-354-4039.
The Johns Hopkins Pediatric Sleep Center at Mt. Washington Pediatric Hospital is pleased to offer comprehensive evaluation and care for children with sleep-disordered breathing including children with:
- Snoring and suspected obstructive sleep apnea
- Known obstructive sleep apnea requiring CPAP or BiPAP therapy
- Suspected sleep-related respiratory failure or apnea related to neuromuscular disease such as muscular dystrophy or cerebral palsy
- Conditions that increase the risk of sleepdisordered breathing such as obesity, Down syndrome and achondroplasia.
A Full Range of Care:
The center has a multi bed state of the art sleep laboratory that operates seven days a week. Our laboratory is dedicated to the care of pediatric patients with highly trained technicians and child-friendly rooms. Each room contains a second bed for a caregiver to spend the night with the child.
If you would like to order a sleep study to evaluate your
patient for obstructive sleep apnea without evaluation in
our clinic please call our partners at Sleep Services of
America at 410-691-3531 or 410-691-3994 with questions.
To assure that the most appropriate study is done in the
laboratory it is required that children with the following
are seen in clinic prior to a sleep study:
- Children under the age of 1 year
- Children with complex medical issues
- Children with behavioral issues that may make
having a sleep study difficult
- Children on oxygen, ventilators, with a
tracheotomy, on CPAP or BiPAP.
For Referring Physicians:
For Parents of Current Patients:
To best serve you and our patients, please help us with the following prior to your child's sleep study:
- Confirm: 7 days prior to your child's sleep study, please call to confirm at 443-354-4039.
- Cancellations: Our sleep lab is in high demand, please be courteous and call 443-354-4039 to cancel as soon as you know you will not be able to keep the scheduled appointment. You will be contacted to reschedule.
- Siblings: To ensure the accuracy of the study, no siblings are allowed in the sleep study room.
- Caregivers: Our space is limited and only one caregiver is allowed to stay with the child during the study a bed is provided in the room for them.
- Caregiver role during study:
- Caregiver is expected to stay in the child's patient room for the length of the study. The Caregiver may not leave the child unattended.
- Should your child be on a vent, suctioning is the responsibility of the caregiver. The Sleep Techs are not allowed to assist.
- Should the child need the help of a hoist to get into bed, that is up to the caregiver to provide that assistance. The Sleep Tech is not allowed to assist.
- The Sleep Tech will not be able to provide the results of the study to the caregiver. Results will be available through the physician after the review of the Pulmonologist.
For More Information:
To schedule an appointment in our
clinic call 410-955-2035 and ask to make
an appointment in The Johns Hopkins
Pediatric Sleep Center at Mt.Washington
Specialized sleep laboratory studies to evaluate children
for nighttime seizure activity, gastroesophageal reflux
and narcolepsy are also available. Prior evaluation in
clinic is required for these studies.
Outpatient appointments and program referrals can be made by calling 410-367-2222.