Learning Assessment Center (LAC)
CALL FOR APPOINTMENT:410-578-5037 410-578-5037
The Mt. Washington Pediatric Hospital Learning Assessment Center (LAC) provides comprehensive psychoeducational evaluations to children and adolescents who are having difficulties keeping up with expectations at school. Our team of experts at the LAC provides evaluations of children who may be experiencing difficulties in the following areas:
- Reading – including difficulties with decoding, phonemic awareness, reading fluency and reading comprehension
- Mathematics – including difficulties with math computation and problem solving
- Written Expression – including difficulties with handwriting and formal writing skills (e.g., spelling, mechanics, and organization of written material)
- Attention and Concentration/Executive Functioning
- Test Anxiety
- Processing Speed
- Difficulties with Memory
In addition, our evaluations can determine what services and accommodations individuals may need, with targeted recommendations such as:
- Standardized testing accommodations for the PSAT, SAT, ACT, etc. (e.g., extended time and/or reduced distraction environment)
- General classroom accommodations (e.g., extended time, preferential seating)
- Academic planning and educational needs (e.g., Individualized Education Program [IEP], 504 plan)
is the program administrator of the Learning Assessment Center. Dr. Gatzke is currently a senior psychologist at Mt. Washington Pediatric Hospital, having specialized in the area of psychological assessment of children and adolescents with learning challenges, ADHD, and behavioral/mood disorders. Dr. Gatzke received her doctoral degree in Clinical Psychology from the Loyola University Maryland. She completed her clinical residency at Terry Children’s Center in Delaware, and her post-doctoral training at Mt. Washington Pediatric Hospital. Before practicing psychology, Dr. Gatzke was the director of a learning assistance program at a college preparatory high school in New Jersey.
is a clinician evaluator at the Learning Assessment Center. Dr. Volker is currently a psychologist at Mt. Washington Pediatric Hospital, specializing in the area of psychological assessment of children and adolescents with learning challenges, ADHD, and mood and behavior disorders. Dr. Volker received her doctoral degree in Clinical Psychology from the University of Maryland, College Park. She completed her clinical residency at A.I. DuPont/Nemours Children’s Hospital, and her post-doctoral training at Mt. Washington Pediatric Hospital.
The LAC is located at the Mt. Washington Center (1501 Sulgrave Avenue, Suite 102), and is staffed by licensed psychologists currently credentialed and on faculty at Mt. Washington Pediatric Hospital. Before the first visit, families have the option of scheduling their initial consultation and feedback session on location, or from their home via secure videoconferencing through the Mt. Washington Telepsychology program. In most cases, psychoeducational testing can be completed in a single day, and rating forms can be completed from home or work by parents and teachers.
The Mt. Washington LAC is operated through Mt. Washington Pediatric Community Health Services, LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of Mt. Washington Pediatric Hospital.