Weigh Smart® and Weigh Smart Jr®
Weigh Smart® is a life-changing program where children ages 2 to 17 learn to make healthy diet, exercise, and lifestyle choices. Here's what they can experience:
- Clinical Assessment. Meet one-on-one with our team, who will help determine which programs are best for your family.
- Group Programs
- Weigh Smart® Jump Start. Four weeks, once per week. Each 90-minute session includes class time and group exercise. Ages 7-17.
- Weigh Smart® Intensive Group. Nine weeks, twice per week. Each two-hour session includes one hour of discussion and one hour of fun group exercise. Ages 8-17.
- Weigh Smart Jr® Group. A group program for kids ages 5-6.
- Self-Paced Program. Work at your own pace with the experts you need in nutrition, physical therapy, medicine, or psychology. Ages 2-17.
- Bariatric Surgery. We work with families before and after surgery to make sure your child has the best outcome.
How Do I Sign Up?
There are three steps to enroll in the Weigh Smart® Program.
- Schedule an evaluation appointment with Weigh Smart® (410-578-5145).
- Get labwork through your pediatrician's office at least two weeks before your appointment.
- Weigh Smart labwork: English, Español
- Weigh Smart Jr® labwork: English, Español
- Fill out the New Patient Information form and send to us or bring to your appointment.
- Weigh Smart form: English, Español
- Weigh Smart Jr® form: English, Español
If you have questions:
Does it Work?
Absolutely! More than two-thirds of Weigh Smart® kids have a decreased body mass index (BMI) one year after completing the program. Most importantly, they're happy to be healthy and active.
Children may also enjoy:
- Lower levels of cholesterol, triglyceride, and insulin resistance
- Higher self-esteem
- Better physical fitness
- Happiness with lifestyle changes
What Will It Cost?
For families with Medical Assistance and other insurance plans, you'll likely need a referral from your child's primary care provider. We'll also give you the program's services and billing codes so you can call your insurance company for pre-authorization. We'll verify your benefits the week before your appointment, and collect your copay and deductible the day of.
For families that qualify, we provide financial assistance and/or payment plans. We'll determine costs and payment plans during your child's assessment phase.
What Happens In the Evaluation Appointment?
During this two-three hour comprehensive appointment, your child will be weighed, measured, and have their body fat analyzed. They'll meet with a medical provider and pediatric psychology, who will provide you with an individualized treatment plan that includes recommending which program is best for your child.
What Happens In the Program?
In all Weigh Smart® programs, your child will learn about healthy foods and activities. We work closely with each family to tailor treatment to your financial situation, your family dynamics, and your child's health needs.
You'll get feedback on your child's progress and health improvement during the program, including their weight.
We'll ask you to stay on-site during each session and join discussions.
What Happens After the Program?
Your child will return to clinic for follow-up visits every 2 or 3 months to help track progress and stay healthy in the long run.
How to Talk with your Child about their Weigh Smart Appointment
Weigh In: Talking to Your Children About Weight and Health - Conversation guide for parents and adult caregivers ages 7-11 years old. Published by the Alliance for a Healthier Generation.
Fit to Print Newsletter:
May 2014 (Most Recent Issue)
Outpatient appointments and program referrals can be made by calling 410-367-2222.